Friday, January 29, 2016

Pisarro; Diebenkorn; Gallon Pickle Jar



Gallon Pickle Jar & Brown Paper
 oil on panel  11" x 14"

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places 
where other people see nothing."
Camille Pissaro

"My freedom will be so much the greater and more meaningful, the more narrowly I limit my field of action and the more I surround myself with obstacles."
Richard Diebenkorn

Why brown paper and a jar? First, I was entranced by the fall of light and shadow across the surface of crumpled brown packing paper. The brown paper also offers a possibility of various color schemes to create a neutral gray while allowing pure color to escape into the shadows. The jar was added as an element completely opposite in terms of handling and surfaces and transparency. These all being fascinating problems to solve with thick, opaque paint. Perhaps that is the key to how I happen upon subjects, where ever I find myself - the seduction of technical difficulty or problems to be solved and overcome - combined with the emotional original connection - the poetry. The poetry of a given subject is what Pissaro refers to - the curious turn of mind that allows the discovery of the fascination, the beauty of ordinary subjects. I have found in 40 years of painting, the fascination of visual exploration is of the greatest satisfaction. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment