Saturday, January 9, 2016

Marcel Proust; Fairfield Porter; Stormfall




Stormfall
 oil on panel  16" x 16"

"I think it is a way of making the connection between yourself and everything. You connect yourself to everything and that includes yourself, by the process of painting."
Fairfield Porter

"I must ask my mind to make one further effort, to bring back once more the fleeting sensation."
Marcel Proust

This painting came from a walk in a wild park not far from where we live littered with cut up and broken trees from a severe storm that had passed through the area a couple of years ago.  I can't walk through chaos without wondering how order or understanding might be discovered within. I have developed over 40 years of making paintings the understanding that held within that search for form and coherence lies my interest and energy and joy. 
It contains that "connection to everything" of which Porter wrote.
But then, this work was so complicated that it required an extended look and rework in the studio, away from the original subject. It is then the painting reveals what it needs and how to proceed - when I have to make that extra effort, "to bring back the fleeting sensation."

No comments:

Post a Comment