Thursday, November 5, 2015

River Glide; Ernest Hemingway; "Trying to make a picture of the whole world



River Glide
 oil on card  6" x 10"


River Glide 2 
 Oil on card  6" x 10"


"I am trying to make, before I get through. a picture of the whole world - or as much of it as I have seen.Boiling it down always, rather than spreading it thin."
Ernest Hemingway, 1933

Hemingway has pretty well summed up a primary task of any artist and any art form. 
This idea is related to the old saying about the world can be discovered in a grain of sand and essentially, this is true. Into this idea we must realize a painter is confronted every day with limitations, limitations unique to each one. These are with us as surely as fingerprints and can be a wall to get around or a tool for liberation. For me, some days it is the former and some days, good days, it is the latter. Over around forty years of this painting business I have come to terms with both kinds of days and their cumulative effect - a day spent trying to make a picture of the whole world, contained in a small corner, is a wondrous day no matter how smooth or rough. These two small works are originally images from an aluminum row boat on the Potomac River.
 I hope you enjoy them as much as I did making them.

No comments:

Post a Comment