Thursday, November 19, 2015

Bear's Den Study; "the intensity with which they occur..."; Fernando Pessoa; Andrew Wyeth





Bear's Den Study
 oil on panel  12" x 14"

"Time is holding it's breath for an instant - and for an eternity. 
That's what I'm after - that's what I'm trying to paint."
Andrew Wyeth

"The value in things is not the time they last, 
but in the intensity with which they occur.
That is why there are unforgettable moments and unique people."
Fernando Pessoa

I suppose the most difficult thing about making paintings is settling in on a subject. I am sometimes overwhelmed by the intensity of so much visual richness in the natural world - to the point of a kind of painting paralysis. It is then I have to tell myself to back off, relax, and trust that there will be time - time for it all. Then I might focus of a moment of visual poetry - a single, precious moment I can attempt to capture in a flurry of brushes and knives and seeing and feeling. The craziest part is about two and one half hours or so must be condensed back to that moment. I love the process within the attempt - this is what sends me along to the next one. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment