Friday, January 10, 2014

Two Sheds, Emily Dickenson





Two Sheds
  oil on panel  9" x 12"

"It's all I have to bring today.

It's all I have to bring today - 
This, and my heart beside - 
This, and my heart, and all the fields - 
And all the meadows wide
Be sure you count, should I forget
Someone the sum could tell - 
This, and my heart, and all the bees
Which in the clover dwell."
Emily Dickinson

I can't say exactly why I'm drawn to these two sheds, or subjects like them -except that there seems to be on them the echo of lives, of those once here and now gone. Awkward utilitarian monuments to time passing as the saplings and weeds begin the process of taking them over. Anyway, these two simple structures in a late fall afternoon are 'all I have to bring today' - and to my mind, quite enough.

2 comments: