Monday, December 16, 2013

Stump #8


Stump #8
  oil on canvas  22" x 28"

"There is a time in life when you just take a walk.
And you walk into your own landscape."
Willem De Kooning

There is a great feeling when one simply paints and finds answers to the puzzle as that process unfolds - a feeling of freedom and 'absorbedness' - being lost in one's own landscape. Why a stump? I couldn't exactly say except that the color, the texture, the way each one relates to its surroundings, even as it disintegrates into the surroundings, all are attractive to me. These aspects allow me try to conjoin abstract action to concrete subject - emphasizing what I love about oil paint - its viscous, almost clay-like quality.
Now I will go and find another stump - or some other combination of visual effects and poetry - as I walk into my own landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment