Saturday, June 1, 2013



Pathway to la Madelene
  oil on panel  7.5" x 10"   

"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it is simply necessary to love."
Claude Monet

"Mystery is significant."  ee cummings

My paintings assume anyone who comes across one and looks with any interest will be interested in investing something of themselves, allowing the imagination to fill in the place, the time, the space. If you need everything spelled out in detail, I'd just as soon that you walk on by and not look. In my mind, art has to live in the territory between intent and reception - and they have form a balance. Too much control by the artist is a dictatorship - I'd rather live with a bit of anarchy!  Mystery is significant (as my favorite poet says), because it allows space for contemplation and imagination. The trick for the artist is to hold onto the truth of the moment without bludgeoning it into submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment