Monday, June 10, 2013



Late Summer Hills
  oil on canvas  20" x 30"  

A well known painter of his time called out, upon recognizing Degas on the street, " Monsieur Degas, you must come and see our latest exhibition of watercolors!" Then he gave a sudden glance at the worn mackintosh Degas was wearing and added, "You may find our frames and carpets a little too fancy for you, but art is always a luxury, isn't it?"
"Yours perhaps," retorted Degas, "but mine is an absolute necessity."

Today I am 63 and while, in my mind I always seem to feel about 28, certain realities do begin intrude. The french easel is just too damned heavy to lug around; it seems to take me forever to settle in to the poetry of the moment and get set up and make decisions to put a brush to work. Then I walk over to the studio and these difficulties all melt away as I survey the work emerging and anticipate the ones I will find my next walk outside - and I consider my happy days with Dustin and Paula, I understand that years don't matter except for what joy one extracts from them. Absolute necessities.

2 comments:

  1. I love this painting Dean - everything about it is so lovely!
    And your sentiments about "maturing" and appreciating the real joys of life is just perfect. All best to you!
    Happy Birthday,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Dorothy - am glad whenever one touches someone else - this one is a companion piece to the "August Farm" in an earlier post (that one sold already! the $ goes into my fund for getting back to Provence!) thanks again, Dean

    ReplyDelete