Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bears Den 9 and Bears Den Study: Passage

 Bears Den 9
 oil on linen  12' X 16"
Why am I fascinated with these rock formations, probably part of the rubble left behind when the Appalachian ridge pushed thousands of feet up tens of thousands of years ago? Every aspect of these rocks speaks to the passage of time - the posture or gesture they have fallen to; the broken and worn surfaces; the way trees have managed to grow in amongst them. The form of the large rocks define space and weight against the background of the forest's chaos - and I enjoy the way color is suggested by the mineral make up of the boulders as well of the lichen and moss clinging to them. These rocks and this place of vistas and enclosed crevice, caves and flat-rock expanses, seems to have captured my complete attention. I suppose I'll just keep at it until I have exhausted my interest!

Bears Den Study: Passage
 oil on linen panel  9" x 12"
Someone asked me why I made these paintings, as no one they knew would be likely to buy a painting of rocks for their home - I guess intimating that selling the things would be the purpose for making them (they were well-meaning and probably concerned for my future). My stock answer has always been that 'I would be making these sorts of paintings whether anyone ever paid attention or ponied up and bought one or not'. That is true and while there have been shows where what I'd painted coincided with what folks wanted to buy - it has never been my motivation. Always it is the light and shadow, the form and space, the challenge of visual exploration, and the sheer joy of being alive at that moment in that place.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you put your reason for doing the paintings - the sheer joy of being alive at that moment in that place. I've felt that when painting outdoors, too. It's the greatest feeling!

    ReplyDelete