Friday, March 23, 2012

Bears Den Study, no. 7

Bears Den Study no. 7
 oil on panel  6"x 8"
Sometimes the painting dictates what you do - sounds weird but it is absolutely true. I pulled out a small panel, thinking I'd work fast and bold and try to get the essence of the place, the light, the space, in just a few well chosen strokes. Instead as I fell into the exploration, the intricacy of the forms slamming together and the power of weight and forms took over. Each mass had to find its place as it described the place of the form adjacent - it became a puzzle to solve carefully. I'll post the other studies over the next few days and look at how I arrived at each one.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful strong piece - thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jordan - its a kick to get a response from a respected painter - these cliff / rocks / space paintings seem to have captivated me for the time being - I think because they allow me my love of paint and chatic form/space while providing an anchor of sorts. Make sense? oh well, thanks again.

      Delete