Tuesday, May 28, 2013



Poplar Trunks in Provence
 oil on panel  7" x 10"

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane 
by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche


When Persistence Wrests

When persistence wrests
some small victory
from frustration,
a tentative space
is chipped angrily
out of the brutal cliff face.
Sweet rest is stolen.
suspended above calamity'
before climbing on.

I wrote this poem several years ago while thinking about paintings that were giving me fits as far as getting my work where I thought it should be. Later I realized that 'should' isn't a concept compatible with making paintings - one has to banish 'should' or any preconceived ideas about end product - one has to be a little bit crazy and just allow the painting to happen, each in its own way. However, the poem is right on the money at the end - one must keep climbing or the calamity of falling back and losing ground will certainly follow. I think of all this as I sit here numb brained from jet lag, eagerly wishing to get my feet steady and back at the painting.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice painting, love how you captured the bark and the light behind the trees. Wasn't this the day we wandered off with Suzanne and Gail to the back of the farm? I do hope you will post all of your provencal paintings, I'd love to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it was that day - I'd been looking at those gray violet tree trunks for a day or two thinking about painting them - I'll post the other stuff as I get them photographed.

    ReplyDelete