Monday, June 27, 2011

Rocks Above #2
  oil on panel  6" x 8"
Sometimes, it seems keeping up with this blog and getting my work out in front of the public takes more time and energy than the painting. This is why, for the hand full of folks who actually look at this blog, the posting must seem irregular at best. Well, that's just the organic way it seems to play out and so be it. There are days the work doesn't progress as I'd like and others that I carry the ideas around with me to sort through and figure out.  Perhaps the patience required in following this stuff distills the readership to a selection of only the finest and truest of viewers - those folks who, if we met in real life, would be instantly in tune and good friends. Anyway, I will delude myself and believe this is true.
This little rock painting is a step in a direction that I'm hoping will lead me into a series of works, pushing closer to what I want - an intuitive melding of space, place, and light based on observation, coupled with abstracted color, brush handling, and a push/pull surface vitality. The subject for my jumping off point will be these images of rock cliffs and formations I've found in western Maryland. Maybe more tomorrow on process and progress. Hey, you six or seven viewers - leave a comment and let me know how you think about the work. After all, you are an exclusive club member!

1 comment:

  1. Now, you Must have more than 6 or 7 viewers! I first saw your work at Gallery 222, and loved the paintings you did of the Potomac shore from a rowboat. I also love the fact that you teach high school art. I'm about to go to Mason for a Masters in Art Education, and I'd like to teach elementary school. Getting started rather late - I'm 54.

    ReplyDelete