Friday, November 13, 2009


November Oak
oil on canvas
16" x 22"
When we first came to live in the old church, I was just blown away by the ancient old oaks that stood guard all around our little home. They towered over us and swayed with the wind and shaded the entire acre and a half and were almost too immense to comprehend. So I set up my french easel out under them and began painting, looking up at the cold late autumn sky through the muscular branches. I never tire of them and when I'm feeling blocked or unsatisfied with my work I find I can go back to this source and rediscover what my painting needs to be about - light and space and place and form. This one dates from our first year or two there, maybe 1986.

2 comments:

  1. This is definetly one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the intensity of this piece. The saturation and contrast lend it a depth that moves beyond the natural and into the imagination...

    ReplyDelete