Saturday, November 16, 2013

Down The Road #2, Richard Diebenkorn



Down The Road #2
 oil on panel  6" x 8"

"Attempt what is not certain. Tolerate chaos."
Richard Diebenkorn

When I begin a new painting it seems I have certain difficult lessons to learn all over again. At the outset, emptiness of the picture space and the swirling, throbbing visual world must be brought to a common ground and there seems no sure path to get what I'm feeling and truly seeing into comprehensible form. The key to starting is to welcome these uncertainties as a gift, a challenge, an opening. Soon enough it will become a battle. During each one there comes a moment early on when one is lost, when the chaos of subject and marks are in disarray - then I step back and reconnect with what attracted me to begin - what I loved about this place in time - and then dive back in with renewed clarity. The vision clears and the image is rediscovered.

4 comments:

  1. Very well said, Dean... you're so good at articulating exactly what it's like to paint outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great painting and as always, a great description of the frustrations, the process and the rewards. I've shared this on my Facebook page about oil painting. https://www.facebook.com/dblorenze.artist
    dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Dorothy - every little share might help - would love to get more blog members.

      Delete